Delphi invest in Surface Flatness Measurement System
20 Jan 2004
The requirements of modern engineering are calling for tighter tolerances and smoother surface finishes on many machined components. A typical example is the necessity for parts in diesel fuel injector pumps to have super finished surfaces to maintain performance and reliability. Commercial diesel trucks will clock up to 200,000 miles per year often in extreme conditions, at the same time reliability expectations are high. Fuel economy and stringent emission regulations add to the need for consistent long-lived performance characteristics.
Delphi Diesel Systems based in a purpose built facility in Stonehouse, Gloucestershire are one of the world leaders in the production of Electronic Unit Injectors and Electronic Unit Pumps. Metal to metal sealing faces require flatness tolerances of less than 2µm over a 30mm diameter and Delphi have the need to manufacture and inspect their precision parts with tolerances down to less than half micron (0.00002 inch). As part of their on-line component inspection system the company has invested in the Zygo NewView Delta a non-contact, three-dimensional surface profiler designed for use on the factory floor. The Delta uses white light interferometry to measure and display complex surfaces to a resolution of 1.0 to 0.1 nanometres at high speeds with the capability of measuring flatness and roughness. In addition to the display with go/no-go limits, the system produces output data for record purposes. Lambda Photometrics, agents for Zygo Corporation, provided a turnkey approach with the design and manufacture of an easy to locate fixturing system consisting of a fixed base plate and inter-changeable top plates allowing auto-focusing of the diesel ejector components, enabling minimal operator involvement.
The NewView Delta is one of a range of Zygo surface metrology tools for flatness or roughness measurement to sub-nanometre levels designed for on-line shop-floor use to improve standards whilst refining processes and enhancing yields. Dedicated versions of the Zygo systems are available for automated disk flatness sorting, micro-optical components, wafer metrology and 3-D surface metrology for semiconductor R & D applications.
Further details of the NewView Delta from Lambda Photometrics Limited, Lambda House, Batford Mill, Harpenden, Herts AL5 5BZ, UK. Tel +44 (0)1582 764334 Fax +44 (0) 1582 712084. firstname.lastname@example.org click here to go to the NewView Delta page
Latest Press Releases
- The smallest 1.3-megapixel USB3 Camera with NIR from XIMEA
- IMPERX In-Camera Image Processing
- Integrated Elemental Mapping & Line Scan
- The fastest Point and Shoot Desktop Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) for Forensic applications.
- New Revision for StreamPix, TroublePix and HERMES software from Norpix
- Elemental Mapping for the Phenom™ proX SEM
- Fibre Optic Sensing Equipment from Optocon
- Exemplar - A new Class of ‘Smart’ Multi-channel Miniature Spectrometer
- NEW board from Foresight Imaging provides high quality, real-time H.264 compression at up to 1080p 60Hz
- New NanoRam handheld analyser for rapid chemical identification
- Real-time, H.264 HD Video Acquisition & Streaming - 1080p, 1080i, 720p & more!
- Striking a new path with cost-effective vision solutions using PoE
- ExpressCard/34 HD-SDI Laptop Grabber - NOW HAS AUDIO!
- Lambda Photometrics Offers 4/3" Large Format Lenses from Navitar
- KL300 LED Light Source for Fibre Optics
- The M-Link - Universal Laser Power and Energy Meter from Gentec-EO featuring a unique Noise Suppressing Algorithm
- PolymerIQ - A Revolutionary Solution for Polymer Identification, Quantification and Additive Measurement
- Cameras – Stock Clearance
- Thin Film Thickness and Refractive Index Measurement Solutions from Lambda Photometrics
- Large-scale coaxial LED illumination with small installation dimensions