An On-Line 3D Inspection Of Solder Connections & Solder Paste
20 May 2004
In SMT assembly lines solder paste misprints cause the majority of faults found at final test of completed circuit boards. Using modern assembly methods such as flip chip, CSP or Micro BGA, electrical connections between components and substrate of PCB is through a tiny solder ball known as a bump placed on the connection pads by screen printing, dispersing or by a pick and place operation. The height of the bump is critical to a secure connection. Two dimensional inspection methods can detect missing or misplaced solder paste or solder but as the depth of solder paste or height of solder bumps is critical a 3D inspection is required. Integrated Vision Products, IVP, have developed solutions to both these problems.
As throughput is an important issue in both production areas, a high speed 3D inspection system is essential. Using a laser based triangulation technique IVP illuminate the subject with a line of laser light and a 'smart' detector system acquires a frame and generates a 3D image of the solder bump or solder paste deposit. Bump heights are typically 100 microns high and solder paste depths are in the range of 200 to 300 microns. With fields of view of the system from 7mm x 7mm to 58mm x 58mm, throughputs can range from 3.5cm²/sec to 220cm²/second.
For more information contact Doug Bell at Lambda Photometrics Ltd
Lambda House, Batford Mill, Harpenden, Herts AL5 5BZ
Tel: 01582 764334 Fax: 01582 712084
For more information on the IVP range of products click here
Latest Press Releases
- The smallest 1.3-megapixel USB3 Camera with NIR from XIMEA
- IMPERX In-Camera Image Processing
- Integrated Elemental Mapping & Line Scan
- The fastest Point and Shoot Desktop Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) for Forensic applications.
- New Revision for StreamPix, TroublePix and HERMES software from Norpix
- Elemental Mapping for the Phenom™ proX SEM
- Fibre Optic Sensing Equipment from Optocon
- Exemplar - A new Class of ‘Smart’ Multi-channel Miniature Spectrometer
- NEW board from Foresight Imaging provides high quality, real-time H.264 compression at up to 1080p 60Hz
- New NanoRam handheld analyser for rapid chemical identification
- Real-time, H.264 HD Video Acquisition & Streaming - 1080p, 1080i, 720p & more!
- Striking a new path with cost-effective vision solutions using PoE
- ExpressCard/34 HD-SDI Laptop Grabber - NOW HAS AUDIO!
- Lambda Photometrics Offers 4/3" Large Format Lenses from Navitar
- KL300 LED Light Source for Fibre Optics
- The M-Link - Universal Laser Power and Energy Meter from Gentec-EO featuring a unique Noise Suppressing Algorithm
- PolymerIQ - A Revolutionary Solution for Polymer Identification, Quantification and Additive Measurement
- Cameras – Stock Clearance
- Thin Film Thickness and Refractive Index Measurement Solutions from Lambda Photometrics
- Large-scale coaxial LED illumination with small installation dimensions