Accurate Length And Thickness Measurement In Hostile Environments
10 Nov 2004
A new industrial Laser Surface Velocimeter (LSV) has been introduced by Polytec GmbH, the leader in LSV and laser vibrometry instrumentation. The new LSV 6000 series is designed to measure the velocity and length of plate, billets and castings for on-line control and inspection of both hot and cold processes in difficult rolling mill conditions. Measurements can be made at a distance up to 2.5 metres from the hot moving surface with the LSV fully protected from the intense heat, steam and debris of rolling mills, continuous casting and other process environments.
With accurate velocity measurement, fed back information can be used to regulate flow and provide precise length measurement. In tube production the length measurement information can be used to accurately control moving cutting tools resulting in tighter tolerances on length and a significant reduction in cutting blade wear.
In a rolling mill, surface speed measurement before and after the roll stand gives an accurate indication of the roll gap enabling precise control of the gap meeting the tolerances on plate thickness increasingly demanded by automotive and other industrial customers. In temper mills, cold plate is re-rolled to produce the final degree of levelness and quality control. The difference in input and output strip speed can be as small as 0.3%, current mechanical methods of speed measurement are subject to slippage and contact problems. Using non-contact LSV technology, errors caused by the slippage and contact problems can be eliminated.
For more information contact Roger Traynor
Tel: 01582 764334 Fax: 01582 712084
Latest Press Releases
- The smallest 1.3-megapixel USB3 Camera with NIR from XIMEA
- IMPERX In-Camera Image Processing
- Integrated Elemental Mapping & Line Scan
- The fastest Point and Shoot Desktop Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) for Forensic applications.
- New Revision for StreamPix, TroublePix and HERMES software from Norpix
- Elemental Mapping for the Phenom™ proX SEM
- Fibre Optic Sensing Equipment from Optocon
- Exemplar - A new Class of ‘Smart’ Multi-channel Miniature Spectrometer
- NEW board from Foresight Imaging provides high quality, real-time H.264 compression at up to 1080p 60Hz
- New NanoRam handheld analyser for rapid chemical identification
- Real-time, H.264 HD Video Acquisition & Streaming - 1080p, 1080i, 720p & more!
- Striking a new path with cost-effective vision solutions using PoE
- ExpressCard/34 HD-SDI Laptop Grabber - NOW HAS AUDIO!
- Lambda Photometrics Offers 4/3" Large Format Lenses from Navitar
- KL300 LED Light Source for Fibre Optics
- The M-Link - Universal Laser Power and Energy Meter from Gentec-EO featuring a unique Noise Suppressing Algorithm
- PolymerIQ - A Revolutionary Solution for Polymer Identification, Quantification and Additive Measurement
- Cameras – Stock Clearance
- Thin Film Thickness and Refractive Index Measurement Solutions from Lambda Photometrics
- Large-scale coaxial LED illumination with small installation dimensions