Ion Beam Preparation
- Ultra-low energy ion source
- Concentrated ion beam
- Removes amorphous and implanted layers
- Ideal for post-focused ion beam processing and milling of conventionally prepared specimens
- Liquid nitrogen-cooled specimen stage
- Ion milling for TEM
- High energy operation for rapid milling; low energy operation for specimen polishing
- Two independently adjustable TrueFocus ion sources
- Ion source maintains its small beam diameter over a wide range of operating energies (100 eV to 10 keV)
- Continuously adjustable milling angle range of -15 to +10°
- Adjustable 10-inch touch screen with a user-friendly interface for simple setup of milling parameters
- Specimen holder with x-y adjustment
- In situ viewing and image capture during milling
- Liquid nitrogen-cooled specimen stage
Minimal maintenance -Due to the efficiency of ionization, maintenance of the TrueFocus ion source is minimal and the components have an extremely long life. Material sputtered from the ion source is negligible, minimizing both sample contamination and component maintenance. Automated shuttering prevents the buildup of sputtered material on the viewing window. All system components are easily accessible for routine cleaning.
- Programmable - Sample rotation is 360° with variable rotation speed and a sample rocking feature. The instrument automatically senses the sample thickness and establishes the milling plane, which maximizes throughput. A magnetic encoder provides absolute positioning accuracy.
- Automatic termination - The ion milling process can be automatically terminated by elapsed time or by temperature.
- Time - A timer allows milling to continue for a predetermined time and then turns off the energy to the ion sources when the time has elapsed. The sample remains under vacuum until the load lock is vented.
- Temperature - The thermal safeguard associated with the sample cooling system will stop the process if the sample stage reaches a preset temperature.
Fischione Instruments’ Model 1062 TrionMill is an excellent tool for creating the sample surface characteristics needed for SEM imaging and analyses. The TrionMill’s three ion sources provide large-scale milling of planar and cross-section samples. High-energy operation allows rapid milling of large areas (up to 50 mm); low-energy operation allows gentle sample polishing.
- Three independently adjustable TrueFocus ion sources
- Planar sample sizes up to 50 mm diameter by 25 mm height
- Controllable beam diameter over a wide range of operating energies (100 eV to 10 keV)
- Liquid nitrogen-cooled sample stage (optional)
- Vacuum/inert gas/cryogenic transfer system protects environmentally sensitive samples (optional)
- Remote operation
- Selected-area milling on full 300 mm wafers
- Top-down delayering
- Expose multiple device layers and structures
- For use in multiple areas of a semiconductor fabrication facility:
– Research and development
– Process control
– Yield enhancement
– Failure analysis
Fischione Instruments Model 1064 ChipMill is a fully integrated solution for large-scale delayering – up to a 10 x 10 mm milling area – of both memory and logic semiconductor devices. Compared to all other methods, the ChipMill produces the flattest surface over the largest area. The ChipMill’s artifical intelligence automatically adjusts milling parameters to yield nanometer flatness within the prepared area.
- Nanometer flatness of the prepared area
- Milling area up to 10 x 10 mm
- Automated sample height detection
- User-friendly interface for the setup of milling parameters and display of images and analytical data
- On-device touchscreen for managing sample insertion and removal
- End-pointing by time, chip structure, or chemical composition
- Ion source
- Optical camera
- Electron beam column
- Secondary electron detector (SED)
- Backscattered electron (BSE) detector
- Energy dispersive X-ray spectrometer (EDS)
- Secondary ion mass spectrometer (SIMS)
- Achieve ultimate specimen quality – free from amorphous and implanted layers
- Complements FIB technology
- Milling without introduction of artifacts
- Advanced detector technology for imaging and precise endpoint detection
- In situ imaging with ions and electrons
- Microscope connectivity for risk-free specimen handling
- Adds capability and capacity
- Fast, reliable and easy to use