The LUNA OBR 4600 is the industrys only ultra-high resolution OTDR with Raleigh backscatter-level sensitivity (better than -130 dB) designed for precision analysis of fiber optic components optical modules and optical sub-assemblies.
- Easily locate, identify and troubleshoot macro-bends, splices, connectors and breaks
- Locate Insertion Loss points at every point in the network or assembly – eliminate cut-back
- Look inside components to evaluate each interface for RL and IL
- Measure 30 m with 10 μm resolution in less than 7 seconds
- Continuously measure a 1 m segment at up to 3 Hz
- Test and troubleshoot short-run networks (< 2 km)
- Automate pass/fail verification of fiber assemblies
- Monitor distributed temperature and strain profiles along network or inside a component or module
Luna Technologies' Distributed Temperature and Strain Sensing Software, when combined with the Optical Backscatter Reflectometer™ (OBR), transforms your standard telecom-grade fiber into a high spatial-resolution strain and temperature sensor.
The OBR uses swept wavelength interferometry (SWI) to measure the Rayleigh backscatter as a function of length in optical fiber with high spatial resolution. An external stimulus (like a strain or temperature change) causes temporal and spectral shifts in the local Rayleigh backscatter pattern.
The OBR measures these shifts and scales them to give a distributed temperature or strain measurement. The SWI approach enables robust and practical distributed temperature and strain measurements in standard fiber with centimeter-scale spatial resolution up to 70 meters of fiber with strain and temperature resolution as fine as 1 µstrain and 0.1 °C.
- Use standard telecom-grade fiber. No more expensive specialty fibers needed for measurements.
- Highly distributed fiber sensing for strain and temperature
- Very high spatial resolution: down to 2 mm
- Centimeter resolution up to 70 meters
- +/- 0.1°C , +/- 1µ strain resolution at 1 cm
- High speed – five second acquisition times at high resolution
Short range communications networks (local intranet, fiber to the home, shipboard and aircraft data bus):
- Find high operational temperatures that degrade lifetime or performance of components
- Determine if strain induced during installation exceeds safe threshold
- Look for long-term strain concentrations that threaten fiber integrity
Structural monitoring for naval, aerospace and civil structures:
- Conformal deformation and shape sensing>
- Composite damage assessment
- Bonded joint integrity monitoring
Temperature profile monitoring:
- Fuel cells
- Concrete cure temperature monitoring in large structures
- Industrial chemical process monitoring
Pipeline shift and leak detection
Electrical power line sag and temperature monitoring
|Maximum Device Length:|
|Standard Mode||30 or 70||meters|
|Long Range Mode12||2000||meters|
|Spatial Resolution (two-point)1:|
|10 μm over 30 meters|
|20 μm over 70 meters|
|1 mm over 2 km|
|Equals 2-pt spatial resolution|
|1265-1335 or 1525-1610||nm|
|Integrated Return Loss Characteristics:|
|Total Range||0 to -125||dB|
|Integrated Insertion Loss Characteristics:|
|Measurement Timing10:||Standard||Fast11||Spot Scan11|
|5nm scan time||3||1.6||0.3||s|
|Time vs. wavelength range||2.1 s+0.14 s/nm||1.3 s+0.06 s/nm||0.15 s+0.02 s /nm||-|
|Long Range (2km) Scan Time||20||s|
Specifications are for single-mode operation.
For multimode operation, specifications are nominal.
1 Over entire length range.
2 Ranges are nominal.
3 Accuracy maintained by an internal NIST-traceable HCN gas cell.
4 For the 2000 m option, return loss dynamic range is 60 dB.
5 With integration width of 0.5 m
6 The insertion loss dynamic range is the one-way loss that can be suffered before the scatter level of standard SMF (~ -100 dB/mm) is lower than the noise floor (~ -118 dB/mm).
7 Distributed sensing uses Rayleigh spectral shift method and is relative to reference scan.
8 Spatial resolutions listed are ideal to get the temperature and strain resolutions listed; they are not minimums or maximums.
9 Temperature and strain resolutions are calculated from spectral shift of Rayleigh scatter using 1 GHz = 0.8 C= 6.58 μStrain. [Othonos and K. Kalli, Fiber Bragg Gratings (Artech House, Boston, 1999)].
10 Combined scan and analysis time in high-resolution mode. Times are for 30 m scan mode.
11 Times are with laser tuning speed set at 100 nm/s.
12 Extended range mode and distributed sensing are upgrade options
13 Maximum standard sensing length is 70m. Limited sensing is available in extended range mode.